Did You Know?
- 1. If a child reads for 20 minutes every day, they are exposed to about 1.8 million words of text every year. 1
That is 137 new words per minute!
- 2. If families read together for 20 minutes a day, 7 days a week, they get more than 121 hours of bonding time every year!
- 3. Many states use 3rd grade reading scores to predict the number of jail cells they might need in the future. 2 (About 3 out of 5 prisoners in America are illiterate.)
- 4 or every year you read with your child, average lifetime earnings increase by $50,000. You make a $250,000 gift to your child from birth to age five by reading aloud, just 20 minutes a day!
- 5. Children who have not developed some basic literacy skills by the time they enter school are 3 – 4 times more likely to drop out in later years.
1 Anderson, R.C., Wilson, P.T., Fielding, L.G. (1988). “Growth in Reading and How Children Spend Their Time Outside of School,” Reading Research Quarterly, 23(3), pp. 285–303.
2 National Institute for Literacy, 1998. [(Arizona Republic (9-15-2004)].
3 U.S. Department of Education.
5 National Adult Literacy Survey, (1002) NCES, U.S. Department of Education.